Ramdisk issue fixed - now it's a LILO problem

After installing Debian GNU/Linux 2.0, configuring and
rebooting the system, I get a stream of scrolling LI's

LI
LI
LI
LI
LI

and so on...

According to the LILO documentation this means that the second stage
boot loader is loaded but has failed to execute.  At first I thought
it might be an issue with a large disk, but my root partition is
<500MB and the first partition on the disk.

I have tried reinstalling/reconfiguring LILO with no success.
The system is a Compaq Proliant with a 2GB SCSI disk.

Can anyone provide me with more information on how to fix this
problem?

Thanks,

-- Chris