Once again: bo->hamm and wtmp

Having just updated two computers from bo to hamm, I've run into the
same problem Eric Fain described on this list a while back. It seems
I'm not the only one with this problem, so finding the solution may
prove useful for future updaters..

I used the apt upgrade and followed the upgrade instructions to
the letter, reboots and all; /var/log/wtmp and /var/run/utmp were
recreated and their rights are correct, and all software has been
updated (I checked that they use libc6). Still, when logging on from
the network (through ssh - I don't permit any other connection),
who, finger, last, et al. don't show anything. The wtmp file is
not updated, and its length remains zero. The utmp file seems to
work.

On a hunch, I ran xterm (libc6), and `who` showed the user running
xterm. Does this help isolate the problem at all? I updated my zsh
and compiled the latest ssh, but these don't seem to affect anything.

Ideas? Feel free to throw suggestions my way.

Thanks;
//erik

--
: erik bunn                                                              :