slink PPP Problem?

     After upgrading my slink system last night and trying to access
my provider this afternoon (dynamic IP account), I received the
following message while trying to run pon (/usr/sbin/pppd):

  /usr/sbin/pppd: This system lacks kernel support for PPP. This
  could be because the PPP kernel module is not loaded or because
  the kernel is not configured for PPP.  See the README.linux file
  in the ppp-2.3.5 distribution.

     Nothing in the doc file helped.  I am running kernel 2.0.35-1
(which was installed a long time ago).  I scanned the recent mail
archive on this machine and could find nothing.  Anyone got any
ideas as to what caused this problem?

Art