Re: desktop calendar for linux

Matt Garman <garman@crh3019.urh.uiuc.edu> writes:
| The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
| that has been posted to uiuc.sw.linux as well.
|

| I am looking for a type of "desktop calendar" application for Linux.
|
| Several folks have large (physical) calendars on their actual desk.
| They are well-suited for writing down appointments, exam dates,
| interviews, etc.
|
| I would like to have an application that runs on my desktop, if
| possible, that simulates one of these large physical calendars.  A
| grid for the month, each cell representing another day.  And, perhaps,
| I could click on a cell with my mouse and bring up a text editor or
| something to look and and change that day's agenda.  Best case, I
| think it would be nice if this calendar application ran in my root
| window of X (of course being customizable, colorful, etc.).
|
| Even a text mode (ncurses, s-lang, maybe) calendar would be nice, with
| some of the same features: indicate a cell to view/edit.  Running with
| a program like screen, the text-mode version would be very nice.
|
| Anybody know of something like this?  Or would it be a good project
| for me?

You're describing the "plan" application almost to a tee. In addition
you can add places to look for other's ".dayplan" files and view their
appointments. This allows you do things like schedule group meetings
that don't conflict with meetings other members of your group may
have. There's even a "netplan" component for getting more complex
network-wide scheduling, but I've never used it.

It's a great application. I use it at work on my SGI and at home on my
Linux box. Best of all, it's packaged and ready to go for Debian. Look
for main/binary-i386/misc/plan*.deb. It does require some type of
Motif, but I haven't had any trouble with it using the free version,
LesTif.

I do not think it has a text-mode version. You can interact with it on
the command line though, adding appointments, removing them, etc.

Gary