Compiling the dpkg source package..

Hi, any chance someone could tell me the correct incantations for
compiling dpkg from source?  I've tried both the versions in hamm and
slink, but the INSTALL file is just a default gnu configure one, and
./configure (it's installation instructions) does nothing useful.  I also
tried autoconf and automake using the configure.in and Makefile.am
(without arguments - I'm not familiar with either of them really).  This
was done on debian 2.0 machines with everything but the kitchen sink as
far as the development environment goes.  Any help is appreciated. :)