Hard drive woes...

The fan on my power supply recently siezed up, I have since replaced
it, but it was not working for 2 days without me noticing. This
allowed my box to get HOT, and as a result my hard drive isn't too
happy anymore... In my MS-DOS partition (have to use Visual Cafe for
work) scandisk found several bad sectors, and has since corrected
them (marked bad). I know there are bad sectors in my Linux partition,
as when I try to use man for anything I get:

Updating index cache for path `/usr/man'. Wait...
gzip: /usr/man/man1/dumpkeys.1.gz: Input/output error

and the corresponding messages in /var/log/messages are:

Sep 21 18:39:00 LazC0M kernel: hda: read_intr: status=0x59 {
DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
Sep 21 18:39:00 LazC0M kernel: hda: read_intr: error=0x40 {
UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=12253958, sector=3900158
Sep 21 18:39:00 LazC0M kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03,
sector 3900158

I plan on scrapping this hard drive as it's progressively getting
worse, but don't have the money for a new hard drive just yet.

Is there any way to mark these sectors as 'bad' and limp it along
further?

.adam

--
   Adam Lazur - Computer Engineering Undergrad - Lehigh University
              icq# 3354423 - http://www.lehigh.edu/~ajl4

 "After all, how do you give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt when
  you know that if you throw it into a room with truth, you'd risk a
  matter/anti-matter explosion."
      -from N. Petreley's column, "Down to the Wire",  9/96 issue of
       Inforworld