Re: Backups

stick@richnet.net wrote:
> > I love tar it works great...
> >
> I think that last phrase should be qualified.
> I've had two instances where a physical error on the disk was not caught
> by tar.  On both of those scenarios tar kept witting even though it was
> not possible to restore past that point.

Tar is also vunerable to errors on the tape. If a small segement of your
tape goes bad a week after your successful tar backup, tar will not be able
to restore past there. Most of the tape backup software out there is smart
enough to be able to skip the damaged section and still let you get at files
further along in the tape.

--
see shy jo