xdm + /etc/login.defs == ???

Hi,

	Am I missing something obvious? I like it very much the way I can
put CONSOLE_GROUPS in login.defs because I want the person sitting on the
console to be able to read the floppy drive with mtools and *only* that
person. Problem is I had to set up a couple of boxes to use xdm against my
will... and now nobody can read the floppy drive. Is putting everybody in
the floppy group the only solution? I read the manuals but I can't find a
way to connect the shadow suite (login.defs) with XDM... is there one?

TIA,

				Marcelo