Re: using RAM above 64 Mb as a swap area

On Mon, Sep 21, 1998 at 07:06:32PM +0200, Christophe Broult wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've just added more RAM on my old Pentium 100. Now I have 128 Mb of
> RAM and as expected I'm experiencing a slowdown when a program is run
> above the 64 Mb limit. I think that running programs in the first 64
> Mb and using the upper 64 Mb as a swap area would be more efficient
> because I would not experience as many performance penalties due to
> cache problems and swapping in RAM should be a lot faster than
> swapping on hard drive. Am I correct?

This is probably a memory caching problem - most Intel chipsets
(particularly of the P100 era - except the HX chipset) don't cache above 64MB.

> How do I make sure the RAM disk is created in the upper 64 Mb?

There is a patch for the 2.1.x kernels to use the higher memory as a very
fast swap partition.  It probably isn't in the main kernel yet though. Try
looking at the kernel mailing list archives for details.

email: adrian.bridgett@zetnet.co.uk, http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Debian Linux  http://www.debian.org  The superior Linux distribution