Re: Microsoft = Trustworthy? What was I thinking???

Ryan King said
> Okay, I took a closer look at the partition table, and, you were right...
> WinNT DID switch hda3 (my main) with hda2 (my swap).

Ok.  A starting point.

> (So now, hda2 is the main partition and hda3 is the swap)
>
> After I realized that they were switched, I then realized I wasn't to sure
> what I needed to do with that information.
>
> So I poked around in the installation program, and re-did what I thought
> was applicable... activating the swap, mounting hda2 as root, etc.

Using the dinstall system I'd go in and say "activate existing swap partition"
(or whatever the actual wording is...) and then I'd do the same with your
root partition.  Using existing partitions is not destructive and it should
then write the proper information to disk...

> Which, after rebooting, got me further before I had an error.
>
> First of all, it said "VFS: Mounted root (ex2 filesystem) readonly"
>
> Which I don't know if it's supposed to be readonly or not, I just figured
> I'd toss it in in case it matters.

Not a big deal...

> Now then, a few lines later, it printed the following:
>
> activating swap...
> Unable to find swap-space signature

OK, looks like you are going to have to re-initialize your swap partition.
The dinstall utility can handle that.

--
Chuck Stickelman, Owner			E-Mail:	<stick@richnet.net>
Practical Network Design		Voice:	+1-419-529-3841