Re: MTA Frustration: Exim

In article <[🔎] 19980920215137.A2781@inforamp.net> dnaden@inforamp.net
(Damir J. Naden) wrote:
>Hi George Bonser; unless Mutt is confused, you wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Johann Spies wrote:
>>
>> > I will support that.  I have tried maybe a dozen times to get exim running
>> > without success.  The documentation most of the time explains some
>> > technical detail that I am not interested in.  I just want to know how to
>> > set up the mail on my single PC with a dialup ppp connection to an ISP.
>>
>> And what I find so strange is that I have never had a problem getting exim
>> running.
>
>I would have to second George here. I have set up my single PC w. the dial-up
>connection without any problems. It ran the script at install and answering

Me Too.

Additionally, Exim is quite easy to use when using complicated stuff as
well.  On the internet gateway system here at work I have the following
features working:

- local mail (i.e. to domain .ah.nl) gets delivered via the ethernet to
  a smarthost.
- mail bound for *.xs4all.nl gets routed over an UUCP link, with the
  From: lines adjusted accordingly.
- mail bound for the rest gets queued until the ISDN link comes up.
- When the ISDN link comes up, a subtlely different exim config file is
  put into place, that doesn't queue, but thinks that it's a permanently
  connected internet host, and the queue is flushed.
- When the ISDN link goes down again, the "dial-on-demand" config is put
  back, and exim queues everything again.
- A cron job flushes the queue every hour, for the (unlikely!) case that
  the link hasn't been up for an hour, leaving outgoing messages
  gathering dust in the queue.

I've also found the exim mailing list more than helpful whenever I got
stuck. I've noticed that Exim's author is often the first to respond.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software,   Enschede,   the Netherlands