Re: lilo setup

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Richard Heller wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I just installed Debian Linux and have some questions about lilo.  I used
>Linux a few years ago and the way lilo worked then was that when you
>booted the machine, you got a LILO: prompt and then could type linux, dos,
>or whatever to boot the desired operating system.  There was also a way to
>have it not time out so that it would just sit there until you told it
>which one to boot.  I would like to have that same sort of thing setup
>now, but that doesn't seem to be the default anymore.

look at the lilo manual pages.  you probably need to tweak the timeout=
setting.

>When I installed lilo, it requires that the shift key be held down for
>the lilo boot prompt to come up, which can best be described as
>"annoying", and for some reason it won't boot linux for me.  Instead of
>entering a name for the OS to load, it wants a partition number and the
>only one it lets me use is my Win98 partition.

if you press <tab> it lists the labels it knows about.  each one of these
is defined in /etc/lilo.conf

>Does anyone know how to set up lilo the way I described?  I basically want
>the LILO prompt to come up when I boot my machine, I don't want it to time
>out, and I want to be able to enter english names for the different OS's I
>want to load (of which there are two, Linux and Win98).

man lilo.conf should give you all you need to make it do this....

dave

--

   |     oOOooO           /  dsb3@earthlink.net
 --|    oOobodoO        /   We're just two lost souls, swimming in a
 --|     ooOoOo       /    fish bowl, year after year.  Running over