HELP! Seriously messed up bo -> hamm

Please help -- I really messed up my 1.3 system today trying to upgrade to
2.0 using the 2-cd set from LSL. I'd like to be able to find a way out of
this mess and be able to upgrade properly rather than having to save my
/usr/local and /etc and then reinstall new...

This is what happened:

* The autoup.sh on the cd-rom didn't run as listed in the documentation (not
executable);

* So I decided to try the apt method, since it'd worked so nicely on another
machine I had. I installed apt, and then changed /etc/apt/sources.list to
point to the cd-rom.

* I ran "apt-get update". This is where the trouble started:

Get file:/cdrom/debian/ stable/main Packages
0%  [Packages ' 0]
Updating package file cache...done
Updating package status cache...done
Checking system integrity...dependency error
You might want to run apt-get -f install' to correct these.
Sorry, but the following packages are broken - this means they have unmet
dependencies:
  wget: Depends:libc6
  wine: Depends:libc6 Depends:libwine0.0.971116 Depends:xlib6g Depends:xpm4g
/cdrom/upgrade #

* So then I went ahead with "apt-get -f dist-upgrade" anyway:

/cdrom/upgrade # apt-get updat^H^H^H^H^H-f dis^Gt^G^G-upgrade
Updating package status cache...done
Checking system integrity...dependency error
Correcting dependencies...ok
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  wine xpdf 9fonts gv apache-modules gs-aladdin getty tk42-dev playmidi
  ncurses3.0-dev splay libg++27-dev tcl76-dev imgstar xdaliclock pstoedit
  xsnow svgalib1-dev ghostview libnet 9wm xloadimage xcolorsel 9menu
  tetex-extra libc5-dev libreadline2-dev libpthread0 libdb1-dev tetex-bin
  libgdbm1-dev tgif xfig
  libmime-base64-perl libpng2 xpm4g libpaperg svgalibg1 netpbm1 freetype1
  libdb2 liblockfile0 libnet-perl libstdc++2.8 whiptail zlib1g dpkg-perl
  perl-base sgml-base libhdf4g libgdbmg1 tcl8.0 tcl7.6 libg++272 libpng0g
  libtiff3g newt0.21 data-dumper libgpmg1 libmpeg1 libc6 gawk ncurses3.4
  cdrecord libjpegg6a libreadlineg2 slang0.99.38
The following packages have been kept back
  xaos wily fvwm2 xext xserver-vga16 xbase rxvt floatbg swisswatch rgrep
  afterstep xcdroast xfnt75 xfntbase transfig mctools-lite tk42 xfntbig
  xcontrib xserver-s3 fvwm-common imagemagick xfnt100 xcolors
  xlockmore xfntscl xfntcyr xspread xfntpex 9term jed xbooks xpaint tix41
  tetex-dev
173 packages upgraded, 34 newly installed, 33 to remove and 35 not upgraded.
3 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0b/56.1M of archives. After unpacking 3017k will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 27573 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing ghostview ...
Update-menus: waiting for dpkg to finish (forking to background)
Update-menus: (checking /var/lib/dpkg/lock)
Removing wine ...
Removing libgdbm1-dev ...
 install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
dpkg: error processing libgdbm1-dev (--remove):
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1
 install-info: unrecognized option --description=The GNU Database Routines'
        Try install-info --help' for a complete list of options.
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
Removing libdb1-dev ...
Removing tk42-dev ...
Removing tcl76-dev ...
Removing libg++27-dev ...

[...]

So now, every time I run apt, I get this error:

Updating package status cache...done
Checking system integrity...dependency error
You might want to run apt-get -f install' to correct these.
Sorry, but the following packages are broken - this means they have unmet
dependencies:
  wget: Depends:libc6
  libg++27-dev: Depends:libc5-dev
  libgdbm1-dev: Depends:libc5-dev

Running dselect doesn't help, either. dpkg is broken -- every time I run it
I get something like:

(Reading database ... 23523 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing wget ...
install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
dpkg: error processing wget (--remove):
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1
 Update-menus: waiting for dpkg to finish (forking to background)
 Update-menus: (checking /var/lib/dpkg/lock)
  wget

And a lot of packages have been removed from my system -- it's not useable
as it is right nowI downloaded the new autoup.sh on debian.org, and that one
worked -- but I still get the above errors. I really need help -- what
should I do?

Thanks.