Re: NIS groups HOWTO?

In article <[🔎] 19980918204847.A2064@efis.ucr.ac.cr>,
Marcelo E. Magallon <mmagallo@efis.ucr.ac.cr> wrote:
>The hamm machine is the NIS server. If I put
>
>	netgroups:	nis
>
>on /etc/nsswitch.conf on both machines and
>
>	mygroup (,host-a,) (,host-b,) (,host-c,)
>
>in hamm's /etc/netgroups

That's wrong. The syntax is (host,user,domain). So if you are adding
hosts to a netgroup file then you should use (host-a,,) (host-b,,)

> and then
>
>	/some/fs/	@mygroup
>
>in hamm's /etc/exports, it doesn't work. What's the trick, or does "it's
>kind of buggy" mean "doesn't work at all" in the libc6 documentation
>regarding NIS groups?

Well even if you fix the netgroup syntax, there is no guarantee that
the NFS server is NIS aware. You should try that (or read the source).

Mike.
--
  "Did I ever tell you about the illusion of free will?"
    -- Sheriff Lucas Buck, ultimate BOFH.