libraries have no symbols

Most of the system libraries do not have any symbols in them;
certainly all the core ones don't like libc.

This makes it hard to debug programs, because you can't see any
library calls made. I have installed libc6-dbg, but it makes no difference,
although I think I've been told in the past that it should. I don't
know gdb well and I've never messed with any configuration, but I thought
it should pick up the symbols automatically.

It appears the only way to use the debugging libraries right now
is to link -static, but I don't have time right now to download 4mb of
lesstifg-dbg just to debug some Motif stuff.

Why do the system libraries not have symbols? /lib/libc.so.1 on Solaris 2.6
certainly has symbols! And gdb uses them too.

thanks,
Hamish