Problems with Mail

I'm having some preplexing mail problems, and was wondering if someone
could help me resolve the problem.

I have 2 linux boxes networked together.  My  production box also has
the connection to the internet.  It is running all of my servers, and
pulling mail down from my isp with fetchmail.  I'm wanting to be able to
d/l my mail from my production box to my development box, but am not
able to get it to work.

My first attempt was to use fetchmail.  It seemed to pull the mail down,
but it never showed up in my /var/spool/mail/<user> file.  After
examining the system, it appears that is is stuck in
/var/spool/smail/incoming.  Does anyone have any idea why smail is not
delivering it?

My temp solution is to use netscape mail program to d/l the mail to my
development box.  But I really don't want to be stuck with this as the
solution.

BTW, I really don't want to directly d/l the mail to my development box,
since I can't reach it from outside my house (it's on a private network,
using ipmasq to get out).

Ideas?

Thanks,

Chris