Re: Proposed-updates subdir?

On 18 Sep, Randy Edwards wrote:
>    Could someone tell me exactly what the dists/proposed-updates
> subdirectory is for?
>
>    Yes, I know it's for "proposed updates" ;-), but what for what dist?
> Hamm?  Slink?  Does this subdir function as sort of a new "incoming"
> type of subdir so that the files are checked and then moved into Hamm or
> Slink?  Any details on what this is used for would be appreciated;
> thanks in advance.

For now, hamm.  The idea is that unstable is, well, unstable, and
changing all the time.  Changes for unstable just get tossed into the
archive.  Stable, however, has been released and now *shouldn't* be
changing.  If it were to change without changing the version number of
the release as a whole, there would be a flame fest on debian-devel and
six more developers would quit over it*.  So proposed-updates holding
tank, if you will, to hold the changes to stable until there are enough
of them or there is a sufficiently severe bug fixed to warrant
releasing 2.0 r1 (or whatever they've decided to call it**).

* this has happened before.

** And there have been people threatening to quit over what to call the
new version number as well.
--
Stephen Ryan                   Debian GNU/Linux
Mathematics graduate student, Dartmouth College