gzip problems...Newbie!

just try tar -xzvf filename.gz  this will take care of everything at
once.

        Hey All,

        I downloaded some *.gz (midnight commander, leap database and
maxwell). I have followed the various instructions on extracting these
programs but "here's the rub"......

        mc say to use this.

        gzip -d <mcfile | tar -xf -

        I have also tried

        gzip -cd filename | tar -xf -

        I always get the error invalid argument. I don't have much
experience with gzip, so can someone tell me which argument is bad? What
is the correct structure to use?

        Also when I tried leap. I got error that it could not create
directory or file. For leap I tried....

        gzip -cd leap-1_2.deb | tar -xO
        gzip -cd leap-1_2.deb | tar -xf
        gzip -cd leap-1_2.deb | tar -xF install