make-kpkg and modules

Dear Manoj,

As I wrote in the previous message, I have recompiled the kernel
successfully but I included the pcmcia support in it, as well as IDE_CD
and NLS_XXX, while now I realize these should all be modules. Indeed,
there are entries for all of them in the default Debian 2.0
/lib/modules/2.0.34 and the pcmcia ethernet card works with the default
kernel. I simply have not tried it out yet with the new kernel.
I asked because I noticed there was no pcmcia subdirectory in the new
/lib/modules/2.0.34. Now it is clear why and I'll rebuild the kernel.

While trying to help me, however, you wrote:

      pcmcia are added on modules. Get the modules, and follow
 instructions and compile the modules and the kernel together.
 (make-kpkg modules_image)

This is exactly what puzzles a newby.
Isn't make-kpkg --revision=... kernel_image sufficient?
You said yes, I believe yes, other people said yes and the new
/lib/modules/2.0.34 looks all right if compared with my compiler options.

What does make-kpkg modules_image do (additionally)?
In which case should this command be issued?
And when? On the same line as the above
(i.e., make-kpkg --revision=... kernel_image modules_image)?

The man page says
       modules_image
              This target allows you to build all packages under
              /usr/src/modules, but does not create the source or
              diff files, and does not create and sign a  changes
              file.
I look at /usr/src/ and there is no "modules" in it. So, I think this
option CREATES something in /usr/src, but I do not understand why and what
"build all packages under /usr/src/modules" means.

All these things are unfortunately unclear: I am not complaining with you at
all. The whole issue of compiling/running modules is not well documented and
I think most of the newcomers get to know about modules when using
kernel-package for the first time.

Thank you again for your help.

Remo
| Dr. Remo Badii             | Paul Scherrer Institute   |
| Nonlinear Dynamics and     | 5232 Villigen PSI         |
| Stochastic Processes Group | Switzerland               |
| badii "at" psi.ch          | http://www1.psi.ch/~badii |