Re: Kernel(-package) mysteries

Hi,
>>"Remo" == Remo Badii <Remo.Badii@psi.ch> writes:

 Remo> My old /lib/modules/2.0.34 had previously been renamed to
 Remo> *.save and it contained a subdirectory pcmcia; the new
 Remo> /lib/modules/2.0.34 doesn't:

	Possbly becuase you did not build and instll the pcmcia
 modules? The pcmcia modules are added on to the kernel, and come
 separately. Install the pcmcia source package and look for
 instructions on using mek-kpkg to create pcmcia modules.

 Remo> Moreover, some of these directories are empty, while the
 Remo> corresponding ones for the original Debian-2.0.34 modules were
 Remo> not:

	The original kernel comes loaded with all possible modules
 under the sun, since we don't know a priori what modules the user may
 need.

	When you compile a custom kernel, you are supposed to prune
 down the modules list to those that you need, (this is a primary
 reason for compiling your own kernel); so the now empty directories
 are on of the reasons you went through the exercise.

 Remo> Hence, something has been written into these directories, after
 Remo> all: by which program?

	Oh, these are just the modules that you asked the kernel to
 have; and kernel package neatly bundled them up and installed them
 for you.

 Remo> Do I need to do some ``make modules'', ``make install_modules''
 Remo> or is make-kpkg followed by dpkg -i newkernel.deb enough?

	That is indeed enough. Do you think I should emphasize this in
 the documentation?

 Remo> I left the original Debian kernel in /boot and I can indeed boot with
 Remo> it using lilo: how does this kernel find (make use of) "its"
 Remo> /lib/modules/whatever if this directory has been renamed to
 Remo> /lib/modules/2.0.34.save?

	It does not. Unfortunately, having multiple flavours of the
 same kernel version is not as easy as it sounds, read
 /usr/doc/kernel-package/Flavours.gz for details on how to accomplish
 this.

	HTH, HAND

	manoj
--
 Murder is contrary to the laws of man and God. M-5 Computer, "The
 Ultimate Computer", stardate 4731.3