[Dakshinamurthy K <kd@blr.vsnl.net.in>] Debian install

Hi,

	This has been asked on another linux related mailinglist.

	manoj

--- Begin Message ---
I was trying to send this mail since some time. I hope some debian gurus
will clarify.

LILO supports booting from either of the hard disks connected to the
Primary IDE controller (ie. hda or hdb). During installation of debian,
the installation program gives only option of installing LILO on the
installation hard disk. So, if I install to hdb, I need to boot from a
floppy (Since my BIOS doesn't allow me to boot from hdb), change the
LILO configuration manually and reinstall LILO. Why can't debian install
gives me an option of installing LILO onto hda? Is it a bug or am I
missing something?

Coming to RedHat, RH doesn't give me a warning that I cant boot LILO if
my primary installtion hard disk is on the Secondary IDE (ie. hdc or
hdd). But gives me an option to install LILO on hda, which is of no use
if I am installing Linux onto hdc.

I hope these irritations will be taken care in both the distributions.

Regards
KD