Re: About realplayer

Mario Filipe wrote:

  |> I installed rvplayer on my machine (slink updated this morning)
  |> but everytime i try to run welcome.rm (provided with realplayer
  |> package) it tell's me this:
  |>
  |> File compression not supported. Cannot locate the requested
  |> RealAudio decoder.
  |>
  |> For more information, please see Error 38 at:
  |>         http://www.realaudio.com/help/error
  |>
  |>         I checked error 38 but it only mentions windows. I've
  |> strace'd the
  |> thing but it find's everyfile it tryes to open, except
  |> pnconfig.cfg!

This seems to be the error message that rvplayer gives in response to
just about every difficulty---very unhelpful.

When I had this problem (or at least a problem that resulted in the
same error-message), it turned out to be because rvplayer couldn't
find the relevant libraries where it itself had installed them.

What I did was to figure out which shared libraries the program
depended on (using the ldd command). I saw that it knew how to find
those libraries, and that they were in /usr/lib. When I made symbolic
links from /usr/lib/libra* to the various libraries that rvplayer had
itself installed in /usr/local/rvplayer5.0/, everything worked (well
... after I changed the permissions on /dev/dsp, everything worked).

I don't know if this is your problem though ....

Jim