Emacs and ispell

I have built a custom afrikaans dictionary with ispell.

When I try to use it with emacs20, emacs wouldn't allow me.  I could do it
with emacs19.34 on Debian 1.3.1.

When I try 'update-ispell-dicionary' it does not "see" all the
dictionaries in my /usr/lib/ispell eg.

root@Johann(25)$ update-ispell-dictionary
Please wait while I search for ispell dictionaries...

        [1] british
        [2] german
        [3] dutch

Select the number of the default dictionary [1]

While /usr/lib/ispell has the following:

root@Johann(26)$ dir *.hash
afrikaans.hash    default.hash      english.hash
british.hash      deutsch.hash      german.hash
britishmed+.hash  dutch.hash        nederlands.hash

I can use my afrikaans dictionary through Lyx.  How do I do it with
emacs20?

Johann

| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@alpha.futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg       |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "Honor the LORD with thy substance, and with the
      firstfruits of all thine increase; So shall thy barns
      be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out
      with new wine."      Proverbs 3:9,10