NEW: XF86Config CREATION FAILURE

I have installed Debian 2. four times this evening.  I am trying to install
the Office version, [not 'home' or 'development' selections] when I answered
correctly the cryptic prompt asking how I want to select the packages to
install on the CD.

After the Install of dselect, it goes to configure and things progress
appropriately UNTIL the creation of the XF configuration file.  The error
dialog says:

    Do you want to create XFree86 configuration file [ I answer 'Y' ]
    /usr/bin/X11/XF86Setup: error in loading shared libraries
    library Xaw lib Xaw.s0.6 cannot open shared object library: no such file
or directory
    the /etc.X11/XF86Config  was not created

When I am again asked:

     Do you want to create XFree86 configuration file [ I answer 'Y' ]

It loops through the above.

Two previous times it complained that:

    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinitrc/xinitrc missing
    the /etc/X11/XF86Config  was not created

Before configuration in the first example,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinitrc/xinitrc , was there, but I got the shared library
error.  The other times I got the last example.

I have a Pent. 2, 300 MHz, 64 M of ram and 1,900 native and 190 swap Linux
partitions.  The CD source is Official Debian 2.0 Binary i386.

When I entered into the loop precipitated by above loop in example 1, I
executed a Control/Alt/Delete, so I can mess with the system and try dselect
Configure again.  I hope it picks it up.  If not, I will install Debian from
DOS again, but fear it will miss
something each time.  The trouble is in the creation of the XF86Config .

TIA,

Bob Barth
EMAIL:   olympic@netamerica.com