Re: ssl-telnet vs ssh

SSL-telnet:
+  free
-  not employed in many places
-  authentication is host-based only
-  only remote shell (there's SSL-ftp(d), but they're not packaged)
+- supports unencrypted connections by default (if you want all connections
   to use encryption, add "-z secure" to the telnetd line in
   /etc/inetd.conf)

SSH:
-  non-free (but people are working on a free implementation of the v2
   protocol: http://www.net.lut.ac.uk/psst/)
+  user identity as well as host-based authentication supported
+  supports secure file transfer (scp) and forwarding of arbitrary TCP ports
   (including X11 connections).
+  identity makes "single logon" possible (if you set up your remote accounts
   right, you only need to remember your passphrase).
+- requires encrypted connections by default
?  more control over what type/strenght of encryption you want to allow

Luckily, it's not an either/or situation. You can run both on the same
machine (for instance, on several machines I have both sshd and ssltelnetd
(-z secure)).

HTH,
Ray
--
J.H.M. Dassen                 | RUMOUR  Believe all you hear. Your world may
jdassen@wi.LeidenUniv.nl      | not be a better one than the one the blocks