Re: pine & debian v1.3

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Pere Camps wrote:

>Hi!
>
>	I'm running pine 3.96 and debian 1.3.latest with smail.
>
>	Sometimes when I send messages from pine it tells me:
>
>                           [Sending mail |  100%   |]
>
>	But the program is blocked and it takes anything from 2 minutes to
>10 to unblock. If i run mailq, the message I just sent is in the queue.
>
>	Any ideas?

this used to happen a lot of my redhat system.  it boils down to one of
two things ... according to the sendmail faq, a dodgy ident daemon can
cause sendmail to hang unless you specify the timeout (setting it to 0 is
helpful at these times) value explicitly in the sendmail.cf

the problem I found was that when running named locally, sendmail had
enough smarts to know it could begin to deliver the message but then
waited for the name server to time out a couple of times before realizing
the ppp connection was off line.
my solution to that problem was two-fold.
1) always use a name server off site ... not perfect, but for most dial up
accounts it works.
2) set sendmail to run in queue-only mode.  it'll take an explicit
sendmail -q or waiting for the sendmail daemon interval for mail to be
sent from your system
3) fiddle with PINE's 'send mail in background' settings.

Of the three, I personally found (1) the most effective.

If you tell us how your network is configured and whether you're running a
dialup or permanent connection it'd help to determine the problem more
specifically...

- dave

--

   |     oOOooO           /  dsb3@earthlink.net
 --|    oOobodoO        /   We're just two lost souls, swimming in a
 --|     ooOoOo       /    fish bowl, year after year.  Running over