Re: Postgresql refure to connect

>>>>> "Giuseppe" == Giuseppe Sacco <gsacco@hsomail.com> writes:
Giuseppe> Organization: HSO Business Company
Giuseppe> X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.05 [en] (WinNT; I)

Molto grazie Giuseppe ;)

Giuseppe> About the second problem you said thet I should delete the file in
Giuseppe> /tmp/.s.PGSQL.<portnr> but this file does not esists! This is the
Giuseppe> problem. I am not sure but I think that the /tmp directory is
Giuseppe> completely cleaned during system startup.

Hmmm, I rebooted often enough and found that the file existed and thus the
postmaster failed to start up.  Note that you also want to edit the (very
good) startup script in /etc/init.d if you want postgres to accept tcp
connections (not enabled by default).

I'd use the starup script to start/stop postgres.

	/etc/init.d/postgresql start

	/etc/init.d/postgresql stop

Also, check /etc/postgresql/postgresql.init.  It should define
/var/log/postgresql.log as logfile.  Increasing the debug level should give
you more clues as to what is going wrong.  Be careful not to leave the debug
level high if diskspace is scarce.  With a high loglevel the output file can
grow enormously.

Once you get used to how postgres works it's a very good and useful tool.
Don't forget the documentation (also available via dwww).  Digging on the psql
website (http://www.postgresql.org) should also provide you with more
answers.  There is a searchable email archive which you could use to search
what users have said on similar problems.

Happy Hacking!
--
Nicolai P Guba
	BT Laboratories			GNU Project