XF86_SVGA suddenly refuses to detect Matrox Millenium

So I had a box going with a Matrox Millenium PCI card, up for a year
without problems.  I upgraded to hamm, and there were no apparent problems
with X either.  Then one day I rebooted, and XF86_SVGA refuses to detect
the video chipset.  XF86Config hasn't changed, either.  Nevertheless, I
tried to force detection, with a
Chipset  "mga2064w"
which is what it said it detected in my old logs, but this crashes the
server with "invalid chipset".  Same thing under 2.0.30 and 2.0.34.
Otherwise, it detects "generic", and I'm stuck with 320x200.
Reinstalled XF86_SVGA-- nothing.

Right now, I'm assuming a hardware problem, though it's possible I've
overlooked a configuration change somewhere (not in XF86Config)

Is there a better way to force detection, or do I try a new card?

Eric Fain                   DSP/Communications Lab
                            (303)492-2759
eric.fain@colorado.edu      University of Colorado, Boulder CO