Re: PNP sound card lack of knowledge (or stupidity <g>)

On Tue, Sep 15, 1998 at 09:38:37AM -0400, Frankay666@aol.com wrote:
> i have a pnp SoundBlaster16, which was not in my computer when I installed
> Debian originally.
> trying to configure it I have read through the isapnpconfig stuff.
> What I now know is that to get it to work, I must configure the pnp then load
> some driver/module.

Yes.

> the isapnp stuff seems fairly easy to do, but as I run Linux with loadlin from
> DOS, and I already configure it with the creative CTCM pnp configuration
> software, I don't think I need to use isapnpconfig.

Yes, but it doesn't harm, too.

pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf

and then editing the latter.

> So, when I go into Linux, my SB16 card looks like a non PNP device, ie it is
> set up, so what I need to know is, what do I do to make linux recognise it
> etc?

You need to compile and install a module, better yet a complete new kernel.

> I couldn't find any modules in the lib/modules/2.whatever/ directory that
> looked like they might pertain to sound, so I assume it is already built into
> the kernel that I d/l off debian.org?

No, as there is no sensible default. You have to roll your own kernel (or at
least the module).

> is it just a matter of configuration files, and if so which ones?

After you have set up pnp (probably) and compiled your module, add "sound"
to /etc/modules and you're done.

> Oh, is there anything you have to do as well to get sound to work in X?

Nope. Add your users to the group audio:

adduser username audio

so not only root can use the audio devices.

> (plus am I correct about all this PNP stuff above?)

Yes.

Marcus