PPP Questions

I have set up my PPP connections according to the documentation and
all is well.  However,  I have two queries:

1.  My ISP has two phone numbers,  can I get my chatscript to try them
both, in case the first is engaged?

2.  I had an unfortunate experience with the persist option. The ISP
was answering but then immediately dropping the connection.  Result:
I made a fresh call every 30 seconds :-(.  I would like to keep
redialling until I get a connection.  After that,  if I lose the
connection I don't want to reconnect.  How can I organise that?

thanx for your help
Kevin