ppp

i can not get my ppp configred for Debian. i have tried and tried, and
gotten help on irc, and read the manual for it, and still cant get it. here
are the two problems
when i do pon Mindspring it gives me a message about how ppp isnt configured
for the kernel. and when i go to reinstall Debian and select ppp to be
installed, it says intsalling ppp, and just freezes up and does nothing
until a few hours later when it says failed. can you please help?