Locale in Emacs and Perl

I using Debian 1.31 and I ahve the following problem.

Whenever I use emacs under X I get the warning:

locale not supported by C library, locale not changed

I am under the impression, though I may be wrong and this warning
is not given when I use emacs outside X.

When I use perl ( when I use latex2html ) I get the perl warnings:

setting locale failed for the categories

LC_CTYPE  LC_COLLATE

and asking me to check settings

LC_ALL=(unset)
LC_CTYPE=(unset) ... etc

fallind back to "C" locale.

In both cases, aside from the warning everything seems to
be working. How do I set these variables? man emacs
and man perl did not give much help.  Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

Sebastian Canagaratna
Department of Chemistry
Ohio Northern University