bo xservers on hamm & xdm

I've recovered the bo xbase, svga, and vga  from a bo archive.  This
was necessary, as the hamm xserver is unstable on my system; a busy
netscape, or realplayer, bring it down hard enough that it can't be
used again until after reboot. Ncurses3.0 was also necessary for xterm.

I've reconfigured, and almost all of it seems to work.  However, while
startx works, xdm doesn't.  It simply sits in the backround with a ?.
It leaves no /var/log/xdm-errors or /root/.xerrors entries.

is there another place to look for errors?

and while the current  XF86Setup allows setting the default resolution,
 this program creates a file incompatible with the older server.  How
do i set the resolution with startx, as it doesn't take the -bpp option?

rick