Re: Encrypted File System.

[Courtesy copy of Usenet posting]
Richard <rjp@logic.pl.net> wrote:
>Has anyone herd or seen a thing called " Encrypted File system"  on any
>Debian or Linux distribution??? I am told it's lurking around, but this
>source is not all that reliable.
>
>I am interested in this, as I am sure everyone else might be.
>
>If  it's a load of crap and doesn't exist, maybe someone out there will
>invent an encrypted file system :)

There are several encrypted filesystems for Linux.

Ones aimed at distributed filesystems (NFS replacements):
- "CFS", which has been packaged and is available from nonUS.debian.org.
- "TCFS", http://tcfs.dia.unisa.it/

Another approach is using a loop filesystem (see losetup(8)) with DES
encryption; see ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/Linux/BETA/loop/ .

There's also something at ftp://ftp.replay.com/pub/replay/pub/linux/all .

And there was an article on encrypted filesystems in the July issue of Linux
Journal.

HTH,
Ray
--
ART  A friend of mine in Tulsa, Okla., when I was about eleven years old.
I'd be interested to hear from him. There are so many pseudos around taking