Printing under hamm

Hello,

I recently installed hamm on one of my machines. I am now having some
trouble getting the ps files printed on a HP Laserjet 4MP, which is a
postcript printer. Under the earlier bo setup, the /etc/printcap file
contained an entry for the Generic Dot Matrix printer (which I think
is the default). I had not changed it and was happily printing the
psotscript files with the command

   lpr file.ps

After installing hamm, the /etc/printcap file is identical. But the
above command does not print anything (if it does, it is some two
lines of characters spaced 'randomly'). Is this behaviour expected?
How do I get the system to print ps files properly on my psotscript
printer? As a fix, I installed magicfilter and am using 4ml driver to
print the ps files. A naive question here --- Does using some gs
drivers to print ps files on a ps printer result in any loss of
quality, etc?

Thanks for any suggestions/help.

sridhar

Sridhar M. A