anonymous ftp

I've been having some problems getting anonymous ftp to work properly on
my system.  I've set up most everything in the way that the manpage for
in.ftpd told me too, but it refers to a program pw_mkdb which I can't seem
to find anywhere.  In any case, I don't believe that the lack of a pw.db
file in my /home/ftp/etc directory is the cause of my troubles.  I haven't
been able to get ls to work properly.  Whenever I ftp to my computer and
try to list the contents of the directory, nothing shows up in the list.
The stuff is definitely there and readable, cause I can download it, I
just can't get the listing to work.  I do have ls in the /home/ftp/bin
directory and it is executable by all.

Can anyone help?

 _____  _
| ____|(_)     http://www.iit.edu/~jenseri