Re: Why do most (all?) now require libc6: what to do??

On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, Albert Hurd wrote:

> I have noticed that all packages I recently wanted to dwnload now
> require libc6. Since I am a newbie who is satisfied with bo and doesn't
> want to upgrade until I feel confident that I will not get into trouble
> with all the non-deb packages I have installed, what am I to do with the
> deb packages I want to install? Any help would be appreciated.

Considering the main change for hamm is libc6, you are bound to keep
running into this problem.  If you want packages from hamm, you'll have to
upgrade.  The autoup.sh script does a pretty good job and is pretty much
debugged at this point.  You can also use apt to do the upgrade.  You're
personal programs should work fine as long as you keep libc5 installed.
Also don't do a partial install, you are bound to get weird core dumps and
seg faults, maybe even corrupted utmp/wtmp files.  Either get a cd or
suffer with a long download.  Basically, my advice is to do the upgrade or
forget about programs in hamm.

Best of luck,
Brandon

                                    --+--
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu> | Debian Testing Group Status
PGP Key:   finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu |  http://bhmit1.home.ml.org/deb/
    Dijkstra probably hates me (Linus Torvalds, in kernel/sched.c)