Re: BASIC HELP

Once you get the $ prompt you can do whatever you need to do.
So, what you want to do ?
You mentioned trying to send email.
I think that the basic text command to send email is mail. Therefor, if you
want to email yourself, you can try:
$ mail -s "$(date) - trying to email myself" $USER < /dev/null
And then you can type mail to activate the basic text mail reader (in it, ?
will show you some help)
Hopefully, smail is configured well enough to do it. You can test it by
issuing (from the $ prompt) /usr/sbin/smailtest --localonly. that is:
$ /usr/sbin/smailtest --localonly
and answer y to the question it will ask.

It seems to me that are missing Win 98 graphical enviorment. Linux has
something like it (The X window system). But, I suggest that before you
install it, you will learn more from the Linux books you have. Also, learn a
bit about dselect' so that you'll be able to install some games and other
applications that I believe you are curious about. Some of these doesn't
necceseraly needs the graphical X enviorment, but you'll need to know more
about dselect to be able to decide if this is the case for a particular
program you are interested in.