Re: Help! CD-RW Media

On  9 Sep, timothy@smasher.rs.itd.umich.edu wrote:
>         Hi, i'm trying to mount some CDRW media, but its not working. :(.
>
> <SNIP>
> root@jade:/home/timothy# mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /cdrom
> mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
>        or too many mounted file systems
> </SNIP>
> ...... So I suppose its not iso9660?
>
>         Now, man mount says that without the '-t' option, it will probe the
> filesystem type. But ....
>
> <SNIP>
> root@jade:/home/timothy# mount /dev/hdc /cdrom
> /dev/hdc: Input/output error
> mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
> /dev/hdc: Input/output error
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type
> </SNIP>
>
>         Anyone happen to know whats wrong here? What kind of filesystem CDRW
> drives normally use. (This one was made in an 'omniwriter')? Or some other way
> that I can probe the filesystem and see what it is?

You wouldn't happen to be trying to mount this one in a standard CDROM
drive, would you?  Not all CDROM drives are capable of reading CDRW
media, only some recent models.  In fact, not all CDROM drives are
capable of reading even CDR media, as I recently discovered to my
chagrin.  I get similar errors trying to mount a CDR in my (admittedly
ancient) CDROM, but if I put that CDR disc in my Mac, I can mount and
read it, no problem.

I forget where I first heard about this, but I think it has something
to do with how reflective the metal layer inside the media is.
--
Stephen Ryan                   Debian GNU/Linux
Mathematics graduate student, Dartmouth College