capturing telnet datastream

I'm trying to diagnose a problem that we're having between x3270 and an IBM
mainframe (PAn sequences don't work).  After communicating with Paul Mattes
(the author and/or current developer of x3270), he requested that I capture
the datastream from both x3270 and a win32 client we also use (which
doesn't exhibit the problem), to help him diagnose the problem.

Since I'm confident that our network people would go ballistic if they even
thought I was snooping the network, I'm thinking that the best way to do
this would be to set up some sort of a proxy on the Debian box, and
redirect my connections to the mainframe through that.  Unfortunately,
that's not something that I've ever done before, so I'm not really sure how
to go about it.  Do I need to install ann configure an actual proxy
package?  Or can I somehow just redirect a port on the Debian box to the
mainframe and just copy whatever passes through?

Any suggestions you can give, and/or pointers to where I might look for
this information, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!

-----
Gregory T. Norris - gnorris@mail.state.mo.us
Missouri Department of Revenue

My employers like me, but not enough to let me speak for them.