Console bug with more than 9 vc's

Configuration: 12 virtual consoles, SVGATextmode (112x40), Linux 2.0.34, Hamm

Alt-F1
Type foo
Alt-F11
Start mc
Alt-F1
Type bar
Alt-F11
Quit mc (screen should be restored to what it was before starting mc, it is
         instead cleared)
Alt-F1
Screen is restored to what it was on console 1 before starting mc on console 11

Same thing happens with consoles 2 and 12

In console 10 mc gives weird warnings (and occasionally hangs) when
saving/restoring the screen.

It seems to me that for console numbers >= 10 and for certain screen
operations, only the least significant decimal digit is kept in
consideration, causing that saving and restoring the screen on tty<n> operates
on tty<n%10>.

Is it a common problem? Is there some workaround? Has someone experienced it
before or is it something weird just only on my system?

I checked /dev/tty[0-9]* and /dev/vcs[0-9]* and saw nothing wrong (magic
numbers seem to be coherent with device names)

				Ciao! Enrico