Re: 2.1 kernel

On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Kay Nettle wrote:

> Is anyone using a 2.1 kernel?  Which version is the most stable?  We
> have people complaining about slow NFS service and we want to try NFS
> version 3.
>
> Thanks,
> Kay

Wait. 2.1 is supposed to be released RSN as 3.0. I think the latest devel
kernel
has SMP problems and some of the recent ones have had NFS trouble. I think
NFS is working again. Linus has frozen new features and is trying to get
everyone to focus on cleanup and bug fixes. He wants to release before
Fall to hear him tell it.  Everything from about .85 on has had one sort
of trouble or another. First it was tcp/ip, then mm, then nfs, now smp so
you are better off waiting for the release at this point.

The kernel list might be a better place to ask, there might have been one
or two nice ones in there someplace.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!