make-kpkg "not in control info"

I am getting the following message from make-kpkg, and have no idea
what it means:

dpkg-gencontrol -pkernel-image-2.0.34-eyry -Pdebian/tmp-image/
no utmp entry available, using value of LOGNAME ("hawk") at /usr/lib/dpkg/controllib.pl line 16.
dpkg-gencontrol: error: package kernel-image-2.0.34-eyry not in control info

it sounds like I have to go register something somewhere.

rick

--
These opinions will not be those of ISU until it pays my retainer.