> A couple of examples:

[snip]

> xsetroot -solid black
> xemacs&
> kvt&
> icewm&
> wait $!
> run_my_logout_cleaner
>
> First xsetroot is run. The script will wait until it has finished.
> that shouldn't take long time and afterwards it continues to put
> xemacs and kvt in the background. Then icewm is run in the
> background. Weird, shouldn't we wait for that. Oh yes, we finish
> with wait $!. $! is the PID of the last process started in the
> background and wait just stands there, waiting for the process
> given as argument to finish. Therefore this .xsession will also
> wait for the windowmanager to finish. Then it will go on
> to execute a program called run_my_logout_cleaner. This will supposedly
> do something clever and when it's finished it will return. When
> it has done so, the script has come to an end, thereby terminating
> our X session.

so what do we gain from this compared to

xsetroot -solid black
xemacs&
kvt&
icewm
run_my_logout_cleaner

?  In other words, what use has this wait?  Just wondering.

Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032