Re: Runs linux on a partition with fat32 and win98

On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, [iso-8859-1] Bernhard Hödl wrote:

> I have win98 with fat32 installed on my pc and I want to know if it is
> possible without the formating of the hard disk to install Debian 2.0

Yes.  You will need to get the program fips15c.zip.  This is on
ftp.debian.org in /pub/debian/tools (it may also be on Debian 2.0 CDs).

It will allow you to repartition your hard drive to dedicate some space to
Linux.  The 15c version will handle FAT32.  The commercial program
Partition Magic will also work with a FAT32 file system.

Debian 2.0 installs kernel 2.0.33. If you want to be able to read/write to
FAT32 partitions after installing Debian 2.0, you should upgrade to kernel
2.0.34 or later, which recognize FAT32.  2.0.35 is the latest in the 2.0
series, and is available as a Debian kernel-image package in /unstable,
while 2.0.34 is in /stable.

Bob

----