From: john@dhh.gt.org [mailto:john@dhh.gt.org]
Sent: Sunday, September 06, 1998 7:14 PM
To: fayhj@mediaone.net
Subject: Re: ping: sendto: Operation not permitted

> I'm using local IP, because this is to be an IPMasq machine, acting as
> proxy for the rest of the network.  In this case, should I have
> noipdefault?

Yes.  The IPMasq is irrelevant.  Make sure that you don't have a default
route set up to your local network.  You don't need it, and it will stop
pppd from making the ppp link a default route.

> Sep  6 15:55:12 firewall pppd[4898]: not replacing existing default route
> eth0 [0.0.0.0]

Here is your problem.  You should not have a default route set up to your
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)