Problems w/bash upgrading to libreadlineg

Howdy,
I think I've really got my Debian Linux system messed up now.  I was trying
to upgrade to: bash_2.01.1-3.1.deb, which requires libreadlineg2 (2.1-10.1).
Well, dselect would always fail with an "internal error - filename not
found...chunk 16" message.
So, I decided to try to install with dpkg command line.  It basically said I
couldn't upgrade bash because the current bash used libreadline2 and that
conflicted with libreadlineg2.  And it wouldn't upgrade to libreadlineg2
because it said that the conflict would break libreadline2 and thus bash.
Aargh!

So here's where I really hosed up my system.  I forced the upgrade to
libreadlineg2 and tried to force the bash upgrade.  The libreadlineg2
upgrade worked, but has now broken the current bash, so no scripts
(including the dpkg "subprocess pre-installation script") will run, and thus
the new bash will not install.  Help!

How can I install the new bash so I will have an operational system?

Perhaps if someone can send me the new bash executable, I can install that
by hand.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Randy Saint
saint@phoenix.net