Re: Your friends...... whatever.

Some time around  Thu, 03 Sep 1998 14:37:55 +1200,
         Michael Beattie wrote:

 > Isnt that a valid reason to filter out @hotmail.com, @lycos.com etc?????

I am the debian anti-spam person, and I don't like to blanketly filter on
from: addresses.  Hotmail or lycos do not have anything to do with spammers.
Most of the time the spammers set their from address to an invalid hotmail
address just because that's the service they know.  However, there are more
than a few people who use such email services legitimately.  I would rather
block the real providers of the spammers (those that give them access and/or
relay for them) rather than block on the from: address which does not mean
much with spammers.

Having said that there is one exception to this rule ;-) and that is aol.com .
It has been established that 99.9% of the mail with @aol.com from field has
nothing to do with any topics relevant to debian lists.  Right now, all
aol.com posts come to me, and I forward them to the list if necessary (I
haven't had to do any of that lately).

 > I dont know about anyone else... But that sort of $#@! really bugs me.
 > Unfortunately, my spam filter wont catch stuff sent to the list.. :(

I am trying my best to make sure debian lists do not get spam.
--
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@igoria.net