update security packages

Hi!

I was wondering if someone could provide any information
("safe" etc) regarding using "dselect" or "apt" to update
security patches/packages.

For example in a recent announcement, there is a patch

     netstd_3.07-2hamm.1_i386.deb

under the directory /debian/dists/proposed-updates.  Now
since I have often used dselect to update my "slink" box
(and very occassionally apt---I have not learn to make it
show me what are needed to update my machine ... if that
is possible), the above nomenclature is "new" to me ... I
am a normal user.  Would this be a problem with dselect?
Would you recommend pointing dselect to dists/proposed-updates?

How would one use apt with this kind of update ... I think
I would be comfortable to use apt in this case.

HenSiong

P.S.  A reliable source told me that he had tried to
      use dselect on this before but failed.  He tried
      apt too, but didn't get very far ... I inferred.
      These are enough to scare me not try them out
      myself.