Re: Kernel compile fails on Cyrix...

On Mon, 1 Jan 1996, Michael Beattie wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Mike Brownlow wrote:
>
> > Jeremy Tregunna <intrigue@golden.net> wrote:

> > > Cyrix has a big problem, what you could try and do is underclock your CPU
> > > from say 233 for example, to 200, if you still get this problem, it's
> > > because Cyrix makes really shitty CPU's and such, and are not really
> > > reliable.
> >
> > Hmm, that's funny. Mine works just fine. And it's reliable.
>
> Same. Cyrix make cheaper alternatives to Intel chips. The catch is a
> higher power consumption.. therefore HEAT! (Oh.. and not as good an FPU)
> Try the 'set6x86' package.. good for enabling the HALT feature.. from the
> README file:
>
>       The 6x86 has a set of configuration registers that allows one to do
>       a lot of things, like specifying non-cacheable memory areas
>       (important for e.g. graphics cards), I/O delays, cache write policy
>       (WB/WT), and also to enable an automatic standby mode where a CPU
>       "halt" instruction cuts down power by a factor of 70 (from 5.8 Amps
>       to 83 milli-Amps for the P133+).

Better yet, install a better cooler. If you are compiling a kernel or if
you are participating in something like distributed.net's RC5 cracking,
the processor won't spend much time on the HLT instruction, so it will
still get hot.

Remco

BTW Michael, your system clock seems to be set to Mon, 1 Jan 1996.